Guide Optimizing Paper - Remove lag spikes, Fix tps & Improve performance!

Discussion in 'Paper Discussion' started by frash23, Mar 28, 2016.

1. frash23

frash23 Active Member

I believe increasing hopper-check but not hopper-transfer will still slow it down, though I need confirmation on this.

2. Celebrimbor

Celebrimbor New Member

The idea is to keep internal mechanics vanilla so players don't have a conniption when their super-mega-ultra hopper device 5000 doesn't work. Yet still reduce some CPU strain on big hopper farms. People can live with a hopper checking for items approx. once a second and not 2+/sec.

Is the default 8 vanilla mechanics??

3. frash23

frash23 Active Member

Correct.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. manwithtrouble

manwithtrouble New Member

what kind of problem could I be having if my mobSpawn uses 90% with the suggested settings? Even at ticks-per set to 100 and the monster limit anywhere between 64-1024, it uses 20-40% with 30 average players

5. RoboMWM

RoboMWM Moderator

This option does not retain vanilla mechanics, nor does it reduce the main source of hopper lag. (This is a check for transferring items from a hopper, not to a hopper.)

6. frash23

frash23 Active Member

What kind of gamemode is your server? Whati s the world like?
    Which Paper build are you using?

7. manwithtrouble

build 690, survival vanilla, view-range 8, nocheatplus and some basic chat and text info plugins. it's nothing special or plugin heavy, trying to keep it vanilla as possible, so there are 3 worlds normally generated by random seeds (not plugin generated) a few years ago.

8. frash23

frash23 Active Member

That's odd. Do you have any timings I can look at?

9. ssamjh

ssamjh New Member

Glad to see this guide made it over to AquiferMC

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Reko

Reko New Member

optimize-explosions
    Default: false
    Suggested: false

Do NOT turn this on if you run a faction server.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. frash23

frash23 Active Member

Please do elaborate.

12. Fleodas

Fleodas New Member

Is it a good idea to use these flags since I run more than 12 servers on my dedi? Some have 512MO of ram and have 8go.

13. RoboMWM

RoboMWM Moderator

He claims that it'll be fine for whatever size, though you might want to adjust a flag or two if you're over 10-12GB. Flags are percentage-based so they'll scale.

14. Aikar

Aikar git am FixMinecraft.patch
    Paper Core Developer

There's no reason to believe its 'bad' to use them at 512M memory, but at that low, I can't guarantee that G1 will perform better than a stock CMS collector.

Running 12 instances its important to least not use the default GC, but simply CMS or plain, not fine tuned G1GC should be ok.

But G1 (with or without my extra flags) is known to use more CPU than CMS. My flags aim at providing CONSISTENT GC performance.

So you may be better off with a simple CMS configuration running 12 512MB servers.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Fleodas

Fleodas New Member

It's not 12 512MB servers, only my hubs and minigames have 512MB of ram, factions and other server use 8GB.

16. manwithtrouble

http://i.imgur.com/2aoDNDu.png

This is with the suggested settings, 35-40~ players, about two hours uptime, paper build 715. also while it's so high, there are no monsters anywhere at all during night, on dark surfaces. it only seems to spawn just a few monsters for some random select players, then it just stops. I raised the mob deletion range from 32 to 128 for testing, was afk and stood still for an hour and only two monsters were around me. The chunkspawnerlimiter plugin doesn't affect any of this, have tested having it removed for days. I use it to stop players from putting 1000+ mobs into small holes, causes some pretty lag. I have it set to a 64 limit per chunk, and even with the limit the mobspawn % is still high and no monsters spawning around at night. If I increase the monster cap from 50 to 128, but keep per-tick between 2 - 5, only very few more monsters spawn at night, most I saw was 10, but the mobspawn usage goes into ridiculous % values in timings and there's unplayable lag.

any idea what my issue could be or how I should look for it? it was actually fine for me last year, on the same world. during summer I remember having the monster cap really high, and there was a ridiculous amount of monsters at night with 40-50 players, and there was never any sign of mobSpawn causing lag back then in timings

17. Reko

Reko New Member

It makes faction cannon servers horrendous - and it makes the tnt explode 5 seconds after the shot. I disabled this and it fixed it. I was using TacoSpigot

18. tuanjr

tuanjr Member

19. frash23

frash23 Active Member

20. tuanjr

tuanjr Member

i'm just downgrade to paperclip-727 (1.9.2), but still lag, in other server (same my network, same setting, everythings fine), i dont know why.
    This is timings in build 727 https://timings.aikar.co/v2/?id=64a248bd325f45c086505d4fd00453ce
    100 people with tps ~11, 12. Before with 110 player ~18, 19 tps.
    Dont known what broken!